Range of fixed fees for a business to business debt that is undisputed
These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
Where VAT is referred to below please note that this will be charged at the applicable rate, which is currently 20%.
|Debt value||Court fee||Our fee (excl. VAT)||Total|
|Up to £5,000||£35-£205||£600-£1000||£745-£1405|
|£5,001 - £10,000||£410-£455||£750-£1500||£1310-£2255|
|£10,001 - £50,000||4.5-5% value of the claim||£1500-£2500||£2250.05-£5500|
Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:
- The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor.
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
- Claims for sums of less than £10,000 are highly likely to be allocated to the small claims track where only nominal fixed costs are recoverable from the other party
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Sending a letter before action
- Receiving payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
- Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgement in default
- When Judgement in default in received, write to the other side to request payment
- If payment is not received within 21 days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs
Matters usually take 2-12 weeks from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side, depending on whether or not it is necessary to issue a claim. This is on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgement in default. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.
Legal Fees (Hourly Rate)
These costs apply where the other party disputes your claim and further work is required. Our hourly rates vary depending on the location and experience of your solicitor.
Partners, Solicitors or Chartered Legal Executives with over 8 year’s relevant experience
(Grade A) £150 -£250 per hour (plus VAT at 20%)
Solicitors and Chartered Legal Executives with over 4 year’s relevant experience
(Grade B) £150 -£250 per hour (plus VAT at 20%)
This website provides examples of the average costs and fees involved with these types of legal matters. But each client has their own set of circumstances and so there will be occasions when exceptional circumstances add to the complexity and time taken to reach a conclusion. We will always keep you fully informed of any change in costs and circumstances and explain why. In these situations, our fees may exceed those above, but we will notify you in advance if we need to exceed an original estimate.
THE EXAMPLES ABOVE ARE INTENDED AS A GUIDE ONLY.FOR A DETAILED ESTIMATE, SPECIFIC TO YOUR EXACT REQUIREMENTS, PLEASE CONTACT US SO THAT YOU CAN MAKE THE INFORMED, CORRECT DECISION THAT YOU NEED, WANT AND DESERVE.
Grant Smith – (over 10 years’ experience)
Lee Trubshaw – (over 15 years’ experience)
Gareth-Lee Smith (Consultant Barrister) (over 5 years’ experience)